Important Facts About Head Lice
- Head lice are parasitic insects that only attack humans.
- Head lice thrive on the scalp and are often found behind the ears and near the neckline at the back of the head. They can also be found on eyebrows and eyelashes.
- Head lice stay alive by sucking blood from the human scalp.
- Head lice are very small. They can be tan, brown or grey.
- Head lice are spread through direct head-to-head contact.
- Head lice eggs might be mistaken for dandruff.
- Once head lice have fallen off a person’s head, they die within 1 to 2 days.
- Itching is the main symptom of head lice caused by an allergy to the lice or lice droppings.
- Anyone can get head lice. They know no socioeconomic or ethnic boundaries.